Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Kicking the Bucket

 Don't worry! I'm in good health, I just wanted to share the progress of my stinging nettle liquid feed.  Just a week or so ago I picked some nettles and weighted them down in a bucket and filled it with water.

With the warmth of the sunshine these nettles are beginning to decompose and produce a powerful liquid feed.  By 'kicking the bucket' every time I walk past I can see the bubbles of methane rise to the top and escape.  It is beginning to pong!  Just a few days more and it will be ready to use.  Just a cup full in a whole watering can is the way to dilute this strong stuff!

8 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

Ooooh. Good point. I ought to check my bucket of nettles. Fortunately mine has a sealed lid on it. Thanks for reminding me.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I wonder where the term "kicking the bucket" originally came from...

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Michelle Duck said...

oh my goodness Matron, I made nettle feed one year ... you could almost smell it a mile away hahah ... it STANK !!!!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Dewberry said...

I know the 'beautiful' smell of this liquid ;)

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger africanaussie said...

my hubby has threatened to move out if I make weed tea again....

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron is nettle 'tea' high in nitrogen or potash and what plants is it good for?!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Petrus said...

Thanks for the info -I did not realise you had to dilute the solution.
I started a brew for the first time after watching it being done on Gardeners World - used an old dustbin..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>