Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Kicking the Bucket

 Don't worry! I'm in good health, I just wanted to share the progress of my stinging nettle liquid feed.  Just a week or so ago I picked some nettles and weighted them down in a bucket and filled it with water.

With the warmth of the sunshine these nettles are beginning to decompose and produce a powerful liquid feed.  By 'kicking the bucket' every time I walk past I can see the bubbles of methane rise to the top and escape.  It is beginning to pong!  Just a few days more and it will be ready to use.  Just a cup full in a whole watering can is the way to dilute this strong stuff!

8 Comments:

At 6:40 PM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

Ooooh. Good point. I ought to check my bucket of nettles. Fortunately mine has a sealed lid on it. Thanks for reminding me.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger Dragon Cotterill said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I wonder where the term "kicking the bucket" originally came from...

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh my goodness Matron, I made nettle feed one year ... you could almost smell it a mile away hahah ... it STANK !!!!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Dewberry / Amanita said...

I know the 'beautiful' smell of this liquid ;)

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger africanaussie said...

my hubby has threatened to move out if I make weed tea again....

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron is nettle 'tea' high in nitrogen or potash and what plants is it good for?!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Petrus said...

Thanks for the info -I did not realise you had to dilute the solution.
I started a brew for the first time after watching it being done on Gardeners World - used an old dustbin..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>