Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, July 21, 2014

Growing Pumpkins

 My lovely Queensland Blue Squash are really enjoying the heat at the moment.  Once the flowers have been pollinated the pumpkins grow rapidly with the right care and attention.
 On a warm sunny day, this female flower will open for pollination.  You can assist nature here by hand pollinating with a fully ripe male flower. Gently touch the pollen from the centre of the male flower on to the female.  If female flowers are not pollinated then this little fruit will just turn yellow and die.
 Don't forget that along the pumpkin vines as they trail along the ground are these little roots. 
 They make their way down into the soil, so you can feed and water your plants at this location as well.
Pumpkins are greedy feeders, so keep them well fed and watered while the weather is warm.

7 Comments:

At 10:22 PM, Blogger Beautyat40andbeyond said...

I love growing squash. My fave is butternut, but this year we are trying Turks Turban, Honeybear and Crown Prince. Not heard of Queensland Blue, is it tasty?

 
At 6:49 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Beauty - Queensland Blue is THE BEST. Dark orange flesh, sweet and not at all watery. Like a sweet potato almost.

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Eight by Six said...

my summer squash is coming along nicely and planted next to my cues so it gets plenty of water. Seems to have done the trick so I'm going to plant them together next year!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

I'm really looking forward to visiting the Lottie again to check on ours now!! I have new hay fever tabs so = :) Lovely post xx

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Cathy said...

What do you feed your pumpkins with?

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Cathy said...

What do you feed your pumpkins with?

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Cathy - at the moment just liquid tomato feed, but I am working on some comfrey juice at the moment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>