Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Royalty

 These lovely Royalty dwarf beans are just so beautiful that I decided to plant them outside the front of the house in a raised bed right on the pavement. It is funny watching people walk past the house and try to work out what sort of flowers I was growing!
 I first obtained these seeds at the Lost Gardens of Heligan in Cornwall many years ago. During a visit to the gardens I spotted some dry plants discarded on the compost heap... so they were 'liberated' to a new home.  Royalty are an old English variety said to be favourited by Queen Victoria herself.
 Beautiful purple flowers and plant stalks, followed by these dark purple beans.
 Really very prolific and quite tender.
I had the first picking yesterday, completely stringless and lose their colour back to green when cooked. Completely delicious!

4 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I have also been known to "liberate" a few things from time to time...
Don't you wish the beans would stay purple when cooked though?

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

A great use for your garden wall-bed.

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Nice idea, they look great! To bad all these purple beans loss the colour when their cooked.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

I love this. You are a pioneer. More veggies in the front garden people!!! What a beautiful leaf and ohhh gorgeous looking pods - tasty, yum yum. x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>