Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Triumphs and Disasters

 Lots happening at the moment. These beautiful Purple runner beans Aeron Purple Star from Gwilym at the Aeron Vale Allotments are looking great! A real triumph!  Very fleshy but completely stringless!
 This is my first time at growing Oca too. Different coloured tubers were planted and it seems as if the stems are different colours too. Oca is a small tuber growing under ground. Awaits.
 Sad to say, I think all of my lovely leeks are being nibbled by leek moth :-(  Despite buying a pheromone leek moth trap this is the worst year ever. Disaster..

Way back in the Spring when I planted my climbing courgette 'Black Forest'  some nibbling slug munched away at the entire growing point in the middle of the plant.  Just 3 leaves were left and no shoots at all.  There was a good root system developing and the plant had started to grow well.  So... I left it to see what would happen.
 Well, just look at it now!! Pinching out the growing tip has resulted in 4 different growing points for this climbing courgette instead of just one.  I am supporting all these leaders and see just how many courgettes will grow on one plant.  This makes sense really when it is well known to pinch out the growing tip of plants to make them send out more side shoots.  I'm building a big stick tripod over this courgette to see what happens.

1 Comments:

At 5:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the slugs are a real pain this year. The beer did not help-I had to use more drastic metods:/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>