Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Cooking Oca

 I wasn't sure what to do with this unusual vegetable, so I cooked a few Oca tubers until they were soft. Just a little salt in the water.
Mashed them up with a little milk.  I think I prefer the taste like this. Hard to describe but the Oca mash tastes a little bit like pease pudding, or perhaps mashed swede or chic peas.  Would be quite nice as a veggie with a roast dinner.  I might try adding butter and pepper next to see if it improves.

3 Comments:

At 1:43 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

How do they compare with potatoes?

 
At 6:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a roast vegetable is the best way. Or boiled like a potato, non-mashed.

Would never mash it with milk, as that would adulterate the flavour. something bland like a potato, yes, butter, pepper and milk.

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Mark Willis - not as much fibre as potatoes, more like Jerusalem artichokes in texture, or mashed swede. Earthy, nutty taste like lentils.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>