Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 04, 2014

Late Summer produce

 This amazingly warm late Summer has meant that my courgettes are still producing.
 This time of year I am still watering and feeding the courgette because dry conditions can make the powdery mildew much worse.  Keeping it fed and watered regularly will keep this producing until the first frosts.
 This is a climbing or trailing variety Black Forest.  Always a brilliant do-er for me, but sometimes hard to source.  Well worth it if you can find it.
 I am very disappointed with this new variety of tomato Indigo Rose.  Yes it is really black... but even in full sunshine all day, leaves removed the tomato will not ripen.  Some in the greenhouse have ripened but they have black shoulders only and red bottoms.  Taste is not good either... like eating cotton wool.  Not good.. won't be growing this one again.
 This one is a star!  Golden Jubilee beefsteak tomato is a late season beefsteak and well worth the wait.
 Fantastic shape and colour and very prolific.
And the taste is fantastic too!  This one's a keeper!

4 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Sounds as if the Indigo Rose may be just a gimmick. In the strict sense of the term, a "waste of space". Where did you get the seeds for that lovely "Golden Jubilee" one?

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Mark - I bought them in the USA.. They were an 'All American Selection' winner... like our AGM award. I think they were just called 'Jubilee'

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Thanks. I suppose then that they are not available in the UK.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Damo said...

The golden jubilee one looks great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>