Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, October 10, 2014

Autumn Sunshine

 The warmest September on record this year in the UK and there are lots of lovely flowers (vegetable flowers!) out in the sunshine.  Jerusalem Artichokes are related to sunflowers and these lovely flowers put a smile on your face.
 Jerusalem Artichokes so called... from the Italian for sunflower.. Gira Soleil... turn towards the sun.
 My lovely climbing courgette Black Forest is having a great time too, pickings every day at the moment and the honey bees appreciate a late source of pollen and nectar to get them through the Winter.
 I've not grown Oca before, but these lovely little yellow flowers are adored by the bees.
 I'm growing these for as long as possible and apparently they are dug as late as possible until the frost knocks back the foliage.
 Bees also love my Garlic Chives, flowers now turning to seed pods.
and these lovely Sungold tomatoes in the greenhouse are reaching for the sky. If I keep them frost free and a little water they might go on for a while yet.

6 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

So your garden is going through its "Yellow Period"! I see that your Sungold tomato is flowering still / again, which emphasises how warm the Autumn has been.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

The plants and flowers are still looking quite cheerful this time of year, but the nights are getting colder now so might not last much longer.

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Tigger's Mum said...

Matron - let the frost knock the oca down completely before you dig the tubers; it does them no harm at all and those of us who have grown them for years believe it is necessary to get the best tubers. You can read about them in this blog.

http://oca-testbed.blogspot.co.uk/?_sm_au_=iVVG5HSVLR5bsRjj
regards
Denise

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Thank you Tigger's Mum! I've not grown them before so any advice is welcome. I suppose it might be a bit like parsnips that are better when the frost has been on them to up the sugar content. Look forward to trying them.

 
At 8:39 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Lovely sunny photos you've posted. Our weather is changing this weekend; I'll miss the mid autumn we've been having.

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Caro said...

I've got sungold toms growing on my balcony, still with fruit ripening: I had to cut the tops off weeks ago as they plants reached the ceiling! I like the look of those oca flowers and might be tempted to get some tubers to grow next year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>