Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, October 02, 2014

Horseradish Sauce

 I dug a few Horseradish roots yesterday.  Not an easy task, sometimes the roots can go down many feet and it is impossible to remove if you don't want it.  Like many root vegetables they don't do well in my hard London clay.. but all you need is a relatively small amount.
 Scrub and peel the root thoroughly
 Nowadays this is just so easy... my Mother tells me that in the 1930s she had to sit on the kitchen step with a hand grater... and grate the horseradish root.  The pain must have been awful.. think how you feel when you stand over onions when you chop them?  then multiply it by 10.. PHEW!
 We have it much easier now.. if you want to experience some of the pain, then just take a sniff after it is chopped when you take the lid off!
There is absolutely no comparison with the weedy, watery, mild horseradish sauce you buy in jars from the shop.   This is the real McCoy!!   Just add either cream or evaporated milk, a couple of spoons of vinegar and some salt and pepper.

3 Comments:

At 8:24 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

With the vinegar in it, I imagine this sauce would keep for a reasonable time in the fridge. Is that so?

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Mark - that depends how much vinegar is in there. More vinegar lessens the heat of the horseradish, only a spoonful for me. Another alternative is to use sour cream. Doesn't keep that long really.

 
At 8:41 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

It was good to read your post about horseradish as I have access to some and wasn't sure what to do with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>