Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, March 30, 2015

New Shoots

 There's no doubt about it, Spring is here.  The clocks went forward yesterday and the days are getting longer.  Plants on the allotment are feeling the change and the sap is rising.
 I always start broad beans in modules to protect them from pests at the beginning. They are quite hardy so once they have germinated under cover they are happy to sit outside for a few weeks.
 Chillis and tomatoes are a bit more tender so they are started in a heated propagator in the greenhouse.  I am growing two very long chillis, Joe's Long and Spaghetti chilli .
 I've been busy pricking out tomato seedlings into individual pots.  Still under cover but gradually hardening off inside the greenhouse and outside on warm days only.
 The Webbs Wonderful lettuce are enjoying life too.  They do well when the days are cool.  I have them protected in this black dustbin.
I always leave a few broccoli plants to go over into flower.  The bees just adore vegetable flowers so it is worth leaving some space for last years' veggies to go to seed.  It is worth leaving some for the bees, have a look at the RHS Perfect for Pollinators project. Bees love leek flowers too.

3 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Not many people ever see Broccoli flowering, but it is actually quite spectacular - almost worth growing as a flower rather than a vegetable.

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your rhubarb is looking well on.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Goodness you're a good bit ahead of us in chilly damp N.Ireland. Though in saying that I haven't even been to the lottie in 2 weeks or even out into the greenhouse. I need a kick up the bum! We have always let our broccoli flower too, it's pretty as well as a bee magnet :) xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>