Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Ash Wednesday

 There was a pile of old wooden fence panels at the end of the garden, so this week I took advantage of the dry weather to have a bonfire.
 So yesterday on Ash Wednesday I had a lovely pile of wood ash to collect.

 Wood ash is a great source of Potash for the soil.  Wood ash is a good tonic for the soil, especially around fruit trees and bushes.  So out I went around apple trees, loganberries, gooseberries, blackcurrants and rhubarb.
 There are signs of the rhubarb crowns breaking the surface of the soil.
 Yesterday was a bright, sunny day and I managed to get some weeding and digging done out on the allotment.
 But I was being watched!  This fox was laying on the shed roof taking advantage of the warm sunshine.
The growing season is just about to start, so I bought a few bags of seed compost to get going with a few early sowings in the heated propagator in the greenhouse.  Here we go!

2 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Foxes seem to be very common these days - probably since the anti-hunting legislation! They do a lot of damage in my garden, so I do not welcome their presence.
Could do with a bit of wood ash though...

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Daphne Gould said...

I wish I had a source of some good clean ash. I had a fireplace at my last house, but this house is new and has a fake (gas) fireplace. Our soil gets very acidic over time and as is very alkaline, so it would do two duties in the garden if I had it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>