Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, August 22, 2015

August on the Plot

 These last few memories are going to be precious. This is one of my Country Taste beefsteak tomatoes. Really lovely, smooth tomatoes.  Coming along nicely.
 These Gardeners Delight tomatoes always seem to grow in a double string of pearls. Just perfect for one mouthful!
 Meanwhile, in the greenhouse these Joe's Long chillis are weighting down the branches of the plant.  I'm getting near to the time when I will measure them to find my longest chilli to enter into the Guinness World record attempt.
 Just a small one here, this is a variety of Pumpkin Rouge Vif D'Etamps which turns a gorgeous Autumnal, dark orange colour.
And for the first time, I am growing melons!  Minnesota Midget melons are a small variety which have a short growing season, so they seem to be doing OK outdoors here in the UK.

Everything just seems more precious than usual at the moment.  I am savouring every last minute of the joy of growing fruit and veggies.  In the next few weeks I will have to say goodbye to more than 30 years on this patch... I'm coming up with an alternative plan... so Matron is not going away...

3 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

The chillis look good. Will they be of record-worthy length though??

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Melons and pumpkins are something I've never managed to grow; hope your continue to do well. Hope you come up with an alternative growing plan as I'm sure you will miss the allotment. Keep us posted.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

It all looks fabulous and how sweet to end this journey of growing your own in this space on a high! You always make me jealous with your toms ;)
And I'm so impressed by the melons!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>