Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, January 10, 2016

January Rhubarb

 This has been one of the warmest Winters I can remember.  It doesn't seem right that on some December and January days I have been outside in short sleeves!  My rhubarb is a bit confused too!  I took a couple of crowns of rhubarb from my old allotment last Autumn and planted them here in my shaded fruit and veggie garden.  As a newly planted crown, I will not be taking a harvest for a couple of years until it gets well established.  Give it time to put down a good root system in its new home.  Well I suppose a couple of sticks in late Spring won't hurt.
 Time to check up on my bags of leaf mould.  The warm Winter has helped the decomposition of this leafmould too.
Stacked up in a corner of the garden, this mixture of grass clippings and chopped leaves will compost well.  The warmth has really helped this process too.

1 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Yes, the warm Winter is a mixed blessing. Too many plants are coming on to early and will pay the penalty for this later on. Still it has been nice not having to pfaff around with frost precautions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>