Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Matron's New Garden

 Only 2 more days to go before I say goodbye to my old patch.  Fear not! I am starting a new challenge.  I have transplanted some fruit plants into my new courtyard garden, where I can grow fruit and veg that will tolerate a little bit of shade.  I dug up some Rhubarb crowns from my old garden - normally you wait until Winter dormancy to do this, but the leaves had already died back on some of these crowns so I hope they will like their new home.
 Ditto this Tayberry that I planted just 3 years ago as a small plant.  This Tayberry put on some amazing growth throughout the Summer so I pruned it back a bit and took these two leaders for transplanting.  A Tayberry is a fairly new cross between a Blackberry and a Raspberry.  It will tolerate a little bit of shade so I can train it up this brick wall.  I hope this transplant works, I couldn't bear to leave it behind so it was dug up and replanted within a couple of hours.
 I also took some raspberry canes from my old patch too.  I hope they will be happy in this raised bed.  If the shock of transplanting isn't too much, then I can provide ideal conditions for them.  So, Rhubarb crowns on the left, raspberry centre and tayberry on the right.
It was a magnificent harvest of my family fruit trees!  I picked these apples yesterday, hope to store some of the best ones, and eat and juice the others.  Onwards and upwards!

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

You are soon going to have to change the "About Me" bit on your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>