Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, April 01, 2017

April Harvest on the Allotment

 About 4 years ago I bought this Wasabi plant at the garden centre RHS Wisley,  A little research showed me that it does best in shady wet areas, so I placed it under a dripping tap against a North Wall and it was doing fine.
 Wasabi is the prized condiment Japanese Horseradish.  These roots make a strong horseradish sauce that you see in little packets when you buy sushi.  So I've waited 4 long years for it to show any fruit or flower... but when I peeked into my Winter greenhouse this morning.... all that waiting has come to fruit!
 Finally I have Wasabi nuts on the plant!  I am thrilled to pieces!  Gorgeous, tasty horseradish flavoured nuts have finally appeared on my Wasabi plant!
I will enjoy these little wasabi nuts this evening with a glass of chilled champagne before I sit down to my special April 1st evening meal.  MATRON IS BACK!¬

5 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, Blogger Shaheen said...

Happy April Fools Day Matron.

Good to see you back. My gardening antics have shrunk since moving back to Wales. Every year i hope it will get better, hoping this is the year that year and then we can compare notes on growing veg. Happy Gardening.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Mal said...

Left by the Wasabi Rabbit?

 
At 8:38 AM, Blogger Jackie said...

You are indeed nuts 😂

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger VP said...

I smell a fish, an April fish ;) Good to have you back Matron :)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger SUSSEXMOUSE said...

You are very patient. 4 years is a long time to wait but clearly worth the wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>