Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, April 07, 2017

The Flowers that Bloom in the Spring - Part 2

 The walled kitchen garden at Grims Dyke has some wonderful South facing greenhouses, but you can see in the background here, that large Leylandii completely shading one of them.
 It is in dire need of restoration, you can see a couple of old vines growing inside this greenhouse which is currently being used as a storage area.  Take a look at this lovely wrought ironwork supports for the greenhouse. Wouldn't it look lovely if it was restored?
 I kept thinking that this must have been what the Lost Gardens of Heligan looked like when they had been neglected for so long.
 To think that in years past this greenhouse would have been growing melons, grapes, peaches and even pineapples!
 One ray of  hope was this small row of purple sprouting broccoli.   To think that Grim's Dyke is actually a country house hotel and restaurant - and they don't grow their own fresh food is a tragedy! The restaurant kitchen is only 50 yards away!
 I spotted a small pot of lovage discarded on the ground too.  There were also a few gooseberry bushes too, but just full of tulips.  I can only live in hope!
Well, Daisy had a good day out!... for someone who 'doesn't do flowers' perhaps Matron might have named her sprout... or zucchini.... or aubergine.... or parsley.... never mind!

2 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Tania López said...

I really like your blog. I love garden and dogs!
Regards

 
At 10:02 PM, Blogger SUSSEXMOUSE said...

What a sad garden. Hopefully someone will love it again one day and restore it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>