Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, July 28, 2017

More Pickings

 One of my favourite courgettes is Romanesco from Seeds of Italy.  It is a really healthy and prolific plant and goes on right till the end of the Season.  I'm picking them daily at the moment.


This Romanesco courgette plant is a good 5 feet across and very healthy.  Early Spring I dug in a good bag of well rotted manure into this small area of soil.  All the veggies growing in this bed and up the South facing brick wall have done well.
 Flower set from my Runner beans has been pretty bad during the dry weather, but these climbing French Beans Blauhilde are always a hit.  Climbing up the wall, between the tomatoes, squash and cucumbers finding their own way on this South Facing jungle wall.  Pretty too!
 Another climbing veg is this climbing Courgette Black Forest.  When you have little space in a courtyard garden, you can fit more in by growing upwards!
 Not such good news on my climbing Cucumber Femspot.  Poor little baby cucumber is covered in green aphids.  Actually this whole plant never looked happy and predators more often get a hold on plants that are not happy in the first place.   I might just cut my losses and get rid of the plant and use the precious space for something else.
 I love these Joe's Long Cayenne Chillis.  Large crops of large red chillis, just from a couple of plants I can grow enough for a year's supply of dried chilli flakes!  Matron is pleased that this one is nearly 12 inches long!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>