Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Growing Up

 So this is the South Facing wall in my small courtyard veggie garden.  To make the most of the available space I allow climbing veggies to make their own space up against the wall.
 Up until just a couple of weeks ago my runner beans were not doing well at all.   Then we had quite a bit of rain and they have set really well now.  Runner beans need wet conditions for the flowers to set.  Better late than never!  These beans just wind their own way up among the squash and tomatoes.
 Meanwhile on the patio, these beefsteak tomatoes have done well in a growbag, a ring culture pot and some support frames.  As yet unaffected by blight.
 Every gardener should experiment.  I took a chance in making a really late sowing of courgette seeds.  There is still some warm weather around and these seem to be coming along nicely.  When my main plants slow down in a couple of weeks, I might have some more doing nicely.
 These Joe's long Cayenne chillis are starting to ripen.  I really love these!  Just the right amount of heat for my taste, and just two plants are so prolific they provide all I need for freezing or drying.
These Uchiki Kuri squashes were also climbing up my wall.  I have left them on this sunny shelf outdoors to cure the skin.  If the skin is dried well in the sunshine they keep much longer through the Winter - assuming you don't eat them!

2 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Nice blog..! I really loved reading through this article... Thanks for sharing such an amazing post with us and keep blogging...
online grocery store in Nairobi

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Belinda Robinson said...

We attempted a squash pagoda-thing this year, but didn't plan as well as we should have. Will definitely try some Uchiki Kuri on it next year as they look so great and taste good too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>