Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

Getting started

 I've had these runner bean seeds in my seed box for a couple of years.  I bought them from a heritage seed stand at the Hampton Court Flower Show and I do like to try new varieties.  So I just decided to do a germination test before I planted them.  Absolutely fine!  kept them in the kitchen between two layers of wet kitchen paper to see if they germinated.  These Purple Runner Beans are growing fine now.  Looking forward to saving some seed later in the year.
 I have a lovely South facing patio so I am just getting started with a few grow bags.  These metal stands are really good, you can put 3 plant support canes in each bag and I have found that tomatoes and chillis do really well in these.
 Now the exciting news!  I cut my first turf this week.  I have observed where the sunniest part of the garden is, and I am making a vegetable bed along one side of the garden.  I am just cutting a strip of turf every couple of days and planting my veggies.
 This soil is wonderful sandy loam.  I've not had this type of soil before, I lived in London all my life and it was always heavy London clay before.  So I am excited at the thought of being able to grow straight carrots!! Yay!
 So a cause for celebration this week as my first Romanesco courgette plants went into the ground. Every couple of days I will turf another strip and plant some more.
And even more exciting news.... as we speak the concrete base foundations are being dug for my new greenhouse! Lots going on here in Matron's new allotment garden!

3 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Yay, it's all happening at your place! Can't wait to see all the delicious things you grow xxx

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

You are not downsizing, the whole garden will be planted before long! You have'nt lost any of your gardening enthusiasm

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Arrrrghhh and eek - your'e doing all the fun stuff and laying out the plot, so exciting! xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>