Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Matron is Happy!

 I know I am among friends here, so I can share my excitement at seeing this sign at the side of the road the other day.  Only 5 minutes from home I went to visit this morning with a couple of large bags and a fork!
Perfect stuff!  Tons and tons of it, and I could park my car right next to it.
At the far end of the heap, just dig a little and this is lovely mature well rotted manure from mostly hay, straw and some wood chippings.  Friable, crumbly and wonderful!
At the other end was the hot stuff.  Steaming and hot!  This will get my new compost heap going when added to some grass clippings, torn up cardboard and dry leaves.  A nice combination of green and brown, nitrogen and carbon. 
So this lovely bag of well rotted manure will be just the stuff to help me plant my rhubarb crowns and my raspberry canes in my new garden.   Matron is Happy today!

4 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Matron,

so happy to see you blogging again and looking forward to seeing lots more pictures of your new garden.

Hannah

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Sharon said...

Wow what a fantastic find!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Wow, gardeners gold !

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

So, um hello! I am only now catching up on your blog since my Hadrian's Wall hike - sorry!
What a great first post for me though - I loves me some good free manure! Take it girl, take it all, hahaha x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>