Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 06, 2018

Cabbage White Pests

 Every day I go out and find yet another load of Cabbage White Butterfly eggs.  When these broccoli plants are still in their pots, It is fairly easy to go round every leaf on every plant and just squish the eggs between finger and thumb, being careful not to damage the leaves.  This is time consuming, but they are growing well and I seem to be keeping on top of it.
 I caught this one having a quick lay on my Purple Sprouting Broccoli seedling!
 It was too slow!   One down.... a couple of million to go!
 Elsewhere on the plot I have a glut of Romanesco Courgettes.. I am finding novel ways of using them with everything I cook.  Yesterday it was on a vegetarian pizza!
How could I ignore the pleading eyes of my garden assistant?

1 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger Lucy Corrander Now in Halifax! said...

There was a glut of cabbage whites when my purple sprouting broccoli was little and I caught and redistributed their caterpillars onto neighbouring waste ground. They seem to have petered out somewhat recently. Maybe they don't like the drought. Maybe the broccoli doesn't have enough sap in it to make it worth laying eggs on.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>