Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 30, 2021

 I'm still here! Not sure if this blogger platform is still here or not, but here goes.   I decided to dig one of my 'Tahiti' purple sweet potatoes this week.  This first one was in a growbag container and did get a bit dry at times.  Ideally I'd like to leave sweet potatoes in the ground as long as possible because it is at this time of year they put on growth and swell the tubers.

I am told that the leaves of this sweet potato are edible too - I didn't really feel like trying them but my chickens appreciated them.

Strange curly, fattened roots compacted together in a mass.   An OK harvest, not really spectacular, but it does give me more hope that the plants I have in the open ground will be a bit better when I dig them up in a few weeks.   I also have some regular Beauregard sweet potatoes in the ground as well.  I'll update more when I dig those up.   

Hope there is someone out there reading this.  xx

4 Comments:

At 6:24 PM, Blogger Belinda Robinson said...

😄 Hello! There’s always someone out there!
Interesting sweet potatoes, will you eat those curly ones?

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Chris said...

We're still here too! At least, those of us with RSS feeds are. Good to hear from you! :)

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger She Who Digs said...

I'm still here Matron, still allotmenting while working through the Global Pandemic for NHS.
My little "Baby Digger" is nearly 14 but not quite as tall as me !!!!!!
SWD xx

 
At 4:59 AM, Blogger MollyTrolley said...

I read it. Glad you still blog.Perhaps I'll get motivated to resurrect mine some day.
I tried growing sweet potatoes one year but mine looked like yours. They ended up in Saba's supper because she loves sweet potatoes. The warmer summers are great for finally being able to grow peppers and get winter squash to ripen, but I'll have to buy my sweet potatoes from now on. Cheers!
Nola

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>