Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Trials and tribulations

 Well the second pollinated female pumpkin also failed.  It is late in the season but in the last week I have any number of females now waiting pollination.  This first photo is a male, but impressive what an iPhone camera can do nowadays.

So this morning this is just a selection of females on the plant.  Temperatures over the past week have been tropical here in Hampshire so I wonder if the heat has helped.   I will pollinate all these and wait to see which ones are successful. Letting them grow a bit before choosing which one to keep and which ones to cut.  I want the plant to put all its energy into one pumpkin.  Well, what’s the point of getting some specific giant seeds if you don’t at least give it a good go. 
Loads of watering, and loads of feeding. Also dilute Epsom salts to provide magnesium. . Watch this space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>