Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Harlequin

These 'Harlequin' tomatoes are new to Thompson & Morgan this year on the front of their catalogue. They were most definitely the earliest of at least 8 varieties planted this year, and therefore I have had a continuous supply of ripe tomatoes since June this year. A good succession. I have found them however, to have a rather thick skin and most were about the size of a grape - owing to the hot weather this year. I will grow them because they are an early variety in future - they are also quite attractive, but will stick to Sungold next year.

By the way, I read that a good way to preserve tomato seeds is to squeeze the pips out with the water and bits, into an egg cup and leave it on a kitchen windowsill for about 3 or 4 days - it might even go a bit mouldy, but never mind. The reason is to break down the sticky stuff surrounding the seed, it is then easier to wash off in a sieve and dry. I have done this already with good results. Anyone want some free seeds? Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>