Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Purple Hyacinth Beans

I've picked my purple hyacinth beans. I think they probably need a longer growing season than I can provide here in Southern England, but I am pleased that I have grown them at all. I have brought them inside to dry off and to collect seeds for next year.
Just one more reminder to send me a photo of your best, most unusual pumpkin or squash for Matron's Squashblog. I will be posting on 30th October, so just time to take some pics and send them to Ahhmatron@aol.com. I will post them with a link to your blog.

3 Comments:

At 6:57 PM, Blogger Bob said...

I like the colour of those beans. I assume you can eat them and they aren't just for show. I've never seen them before. Bob.

 
At 9:00 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Bob, whether they are edible or not is a source of some debate. I have seen many,many comments on the subject, about half say they are poison and the other half say they have eaten them successfully. I am now wondering if the poison refers to the actual dried beans inside? similar to the problems with kidney beans if not cooked properly. I prefer to grow them as ornamental, they have stunning purple flowers!

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Louise said...

Those purple pods are amazing, I shall maybe give the hyacinth beans another go next year. I am going to study your squashblog tomorrow. Rice pudding is one of my favourite puddings, I hope you enjoy yours, don't eat it all at once!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>