Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a courtyard garden. Which edibles will tolerate less than ideal growing conditions. Discovering how veggies can grow in partial shade.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Purple Hyacinth Beans

I've picked my purple hyacinth beans. I think they probably need a longer growing season than I can provide here in Southern England, but I am pleased that I have grown them at all. I have brought them inside to dry off and to collect seeds for next year.
Just one more reminder to send me a photo of your best, most unusual pumpkin or squash for Matron's Squashblog. I will be posting on 30th October, so just time to take some pics and send them to I will post them with a link to your blog.


At 6:57 PM, Blogger UKBob said...

I like the colour of those beans. I assume you can eat them and they aren't just for show. I've never seen them before. Bob.

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Bob, whether they are edible or not is a source of some debate. I have seen many,many comments on the subject, about half say they are poison and the other half say they have eaten them successfully. I am now wondering if the poison refers to the actual dried beans inside? similar to the problems with kidney beans if not cooked properly. I prefer to grow them as ornamental, they have stunning purple flowers!

At 7:57 PM, Blogger HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS ... said...

Those purple pods are amazing, I shall maybe give the hyacinth beans another go next year. I am going to study your squashblog tomorrow. Rice pudding is one of my favourite puddings, I hope you enjoy yours, don't eat it all at once!


Post a Comment

<< Home