Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, January 20, 2008

New Potatoes

I have finally decided on the varieties of potato I am going to grow this year. I always have a hard time trying to decide which ones to grow as I am quite short of space. In past years I have grown Epicure. I remember growing Epicure when I was a child down on our allotment with my Father. I suppose it is out of sentimentality that this is the first year that I have not ordered them. So many other varieties to choose from, so in a spirit of adventure this year from the Thompson & Morgan catalogue, I have ordered Red Duke of York and International Kidney. By the way, if I was to grow International Kidney and I was living on the island of Jersey... I would be able to call them Jersey Royal. Looking forward to trying them. As soon as they arrive I will plant some in a container in the greenhouse for an ultra early crop.

3 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Good choice Matron! International Kidney is the potato that does the best (by far) in our garden. The plants stay green and healthy looking when the other varieties look a bit sad due to lack of rain (or too much - as in 2007!)

I'm hoping the garden centre where I buy my seed potatoes has some in stock when I call in on Friday.

Celia

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger clairesgarden said...

red duke of york is my faourite!

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Rebsie Fairholm said...

I agree Red Duke of York is a great choice. It's always been trouble free in my garden, it tastes wonderful, and the newly harvested tubers are the most beautiful bright scarlet. The red skins are very healthy to eat too, full of antioxidants.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>