Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, May 25, 2008

A New Arrival..

Many congratulations must go to my Sister's two chickens Tikka and Korma... on the safe arrival of their first eggs! First one arrived on Friday 23rd May closely followed by one on Saturday evening and a third this morning! It might be coincidence but on Thursday I took them a prezzie of a jamjar full of freshly caught garden snails! These were gently crushed underfoot and devoured hungrily.

Snails in..... eggs out!

8 Comments:

At 9:23 PM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

A little bit of fresh protein must have given them a boost! My 'under gardeners' luuuuv a fresh snail or two.

Have you tasted the eggs yet?

Celia

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I love the way chooks turn snails or weeds or old bread or other left-overs into beautiful eggs. It is the ultimate recycling, isn't it.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger annie said...

great blog.

 
At 12:21 AM, Blogger WeekendFarmer said...

egg korma anyone ?? : ) She looks like a Red Island Rhode? What do you call them there?

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

I'm sure it was the snails! How 'bout some special Pacific NW slugs?

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Weekendfarmer - you're almost right, they are a crossbreed between Rhode Island Red and Sussex Light. They are called Bovan Goldline.
Petunia - thanks for the offer but you can keep your Pacific NW slugs over there!

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Tira said...

I had 3 Rhode Island Reds as a small child. Actually they were originally my mothers but I took them up as my pets. The eggs were small but the yolks a lovely orange color, with none of the "eggy" smell of supermarket eggs.
However I was responsible for the hens' untimely demise, as they started flying into the road and one by one got hit. My mother had said she'd 'cut the wings" but I thought she was going to hurt them, and refused. Hey what do you know about chickens at 7?

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

LOL great names for chickens and congrats on the safe arrival of the first eggs, a very important occasion in any chicks life. ;-)

There are not many that would be happy with a jamjar full of snails but it seems Tikka and Korma were.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>