Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New Zealand Spinach

I snapped this butterfly sitting on my Lazy Housewife beans a couple of days ago. I looked it up on a website of British Butterflies, and have come to the conclusion that it might be a Comma. The wing shape is a little different, but maybe it has just flown in from Africa and is a bit ragged! I've taken my first crop of New Zealand Spinach this week too. It is a succulent plant with fleshy leaves, and the texture when cooked is reflective of this. Quite a pleasant flavour but I don't know if it tastes like spinach or not.
The beans are just starting to crop as well. One favourite is the flat bean Eden and the lovely purple bean Blauhilde. These are my two favourite climbing beans.

9 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Blogger Kath said...

Well done - my beans are all finger-joint sized! It will be a good fortnight before I get a few to eat.

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Lazy Housewife is coming on nicely in my garden - thank you for the seed swap.

I've already harvested some Bridgewater Beans - very sweet and tender.

Yes, it is indeed a Comma - one of my favourite butterflies :-)

Celia

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Robert Brenchley said...

That's definitely a comma; it's the only British butterfly with that outline. I get a lot on my plot, as the caterpillars feed on nettles and willow, which are both very common round the site.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger The Mom said...

What a wonderful harvest. The butterfly is beautiful.

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

The butterfly is stunning. Never seen one quite like that. Our beans are just setting now and are very small - but I know they will be ready to harvest before I am probably quite ready to tackle em!

 
At 5:14 AM, Blogger Dan said...

The Eden beans look lovely.

 
At 10:04 AM, Anonymous Ian said...

Hi Matron,

I really like your blog and would like to feature it in an article I'm doing.

Do you have a contact email I can use to discuss this with you further?

Cheers

Ian

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Shaheen said...

I like baluhilde beans. Just a shame, they don't keep their colour after cooking.

 
At 9:44 PM, Anonymous AnneTanne said...

Indeed, a comma... In Dutch, it is called 'gehakkelde Aurelia', and you could translate that as 'ragged Aurelia'...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>