Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Matron's Multi Coloured Tomato Show

I am being rather adventurous in my choice of tomato varieties this year. Almost any colour except red seems to be the flavour. These are just the very earliest greenhouse crops, with loads more on the way. Red - Great Wall of China, Yellow - Ildi, Orange - Sungold, Purple - Black Russian. I have a few more exotics in the pipeline, such as Cream Sausage and Chocolate Cherry.
I nipped out of work yesterday and went to Borough market. They have a wonderful display of tomatoes too. I bet they aren't half as tasty!
Someone else I spotted at the market... looked rather hungry! A butcher's dog perhaps?
Then I decided to play tourist in my own home town!
I play tourist in everyone elses home town..
So why not mine?

10 Comments:

At 10:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy looking tomatoes. Thanks for the tour of your home town. :)

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Toni said...

Those tomatoes look fantastic! So yummy... I'm drooling!!!

Loved the hometown tour photos! Thanks for sharing them!

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Ohhh the tomatoes look super! The Black Russian looks interesting - what is the flavor like? More acidic or sweeter?

I enjoyed the tourist pics too!

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger Ribbit said...

Beautiful places are beautiful places no matter how often you may pass by them daily.

We spent a few days in London some years ago. They are some of the most treasured memories I have.

 
At 1:45 AM, Blogger Emily said...

What a lovely assortment of tomatoes. I too planted a variety of colors (green, yellow & red). The Black Russian are gorgeous. I may have to try those next year. I've still got another few weeks to wait for mine to ripen.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger Celia Hart said...

Fantastic looking tomatoes! The display as Borough Market is impressive, but I bet yours tasted sweeter. Still waiting for our tomatoes to ripen - the Tiger Toms are looking interestingly stripy already.

Great pictures of the Thames - it's good to step back and appreciate your home patch.

Celia

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Just getting my first Brandywine, F3 Sungolds, Sungold crosses and Tigerellas. The rest are small and green! I do find I'm hard pressed to produce a plain red tomato though. Too many tempting varieties out there. Yours look lovely.

 
At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Judy said...

Oh I love tomatoes! They are one of my favorite things to grow in the garden. And of course, the more unusual, the better :-) I grew alot of the stripes and weird colors this year too.

Your photos are beautiful :-) Great idea to "stay-cation" and check out the local sites. Beauty is all around us, we just have to open our eyes!

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous Soilman said...

Those black Russians are fabulous; I grew them a few years, until the endless blight bored me into giving up.

 
At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to see some summery tomatoes while it is wintry outside here in Australia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>