Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 27, 2010

Winter Greens!

Things are really slowing down on my patch at the moment. It won't be long before I'm blogging about 'my favourite trug' for want of a better subject. But there's still lots of life in the garden. I've had my best crop of parsley ever this year! I had always assumed that because it is a dark green, lush colour that it might like growing in a damp shady corner. This year I planted flat leaved and curled parsley in a raised bed in full sun! The bed had been very well manured each year for previous crops and it had a deep root run. Amazing stuff! I kept thinking of excuses to eat parsley all Summer. Any other ideas, anyone?
A few Winter lettuce seedlings and Swis Chard seedlings have been planted in a large pot on the patio. I must have a mouthfull of Winter greens every so often!
I left the last crop of Runner Beans to go to seed, it is such an easy crop to grow here in my London clay soil, it would have preferred a bit more rain this year, but this variety St George did very well. - But not well enough to fork out for these expensive F1 hybrid seeds next year. I think I'll use home saved ones next year. Not much difference.
I think I'll leave these sweetcorn stalks to stand in the garden all Winter. They just provide a bit of shape and interest over the dull and dingy Winter months. The birds like to perch in them too!
Just look at these Bramleys! If you leave them to ripen for a few weeks more in the sunlight, you get the most amazing colour! You can see here why it is a good idea to thin the apples down to singles - much too close to each other, critters have taken up residence in between them! - well, that's two more for the pie then!

8 Comments:

At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Damo said...

Those apples look great, I didn't thin mine out enough so they are suffering a bit.

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Mal's Allotment said...

Hi Matron. I'm still picking beans (although some are a bit rough) because I've been scrupulous about picking every bean (and composting anything too far gone to eat).

I'm also 'in parsley' like you. You ask for recipes - Google taboulah (taboule'h, tabbhouli or similar). Its a Lebanese parsley and bulgur (think savoury semolina) salad. Spring onions, tomatoes, lemon juice. It's a perfect partner to kibbeh (lamb burger)and that ubiquitous hummous - and whatever recipe you find you should double or triple the parsley to be authentic.

Good luck!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Dim Sum Gardener said...

Matron, great idea leaving the corn stalks to stand all winter. The ladybirds have already moved in to nest in mine. I don't know how safe this 'winter home' will be for them though....may need staking.

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Jo said...

I've got a few winter greens growing at the allotment, cavolo de nero, curly kale, chard. We all like our greens so I've made sure we'll have plenty during the winter months.

 
At 12:04 PM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I'm not allowed to thin our apples but keep trying to persuade Martyn to let me!

I have a couple of pots of parsley one curled and one flat leaved in a tub in the garden too for easy access when I forget to bring some back from the plot!

Never seen red Bramleys before!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Kath said...

My parsley went mad too, in the driest summer on record here! What's that all about? Must dig out the parsley wine recipe!

I don't usually grow runners - I'm a French Bean gal - but I'm trying the new 'Moonlight' and have enjoyed it. I'll definitely save seed for that one.

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Matron you can make a parsley pesto, instead of basil use the parsley, use it on fish or as a dip, stir through pasta.

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

The apples look divine!
We use parsley, chopped up in our tomato salsa.

Wyatt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>