Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 16, 2011

A Picking Day

These Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes have been a real success. Orignially seed sent to me by Dan in his Urban Veggie Garden as part of my Buddy Morris veggie garden this year.
LinkReally abundant and the plants are laden with tomatoes. So many ripened all at once that I just had to make a batch of tomato sauce yesterday, though there were plenty for eating as well.
Also just drying at the moment are my Croatian Black Beans. A lovely climbing bean which was also sent to me by Kath at Veg Heaven as part of my 'black' veggie garden this year. Really beautiful seeds and a good, vigorous climber too.
And it is that time of the year when I will soon be making my own pumpkin pie. My own pumpkin pie spice mix is easy to make if you have a coffee grinder. The main ingredents are cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg. I also add a bit of clove, cardamom and mace too. The nutmegs will have to be grated by hand, but all the rest of the spice ingredients can be ground to a powder and then sieved.

8 Comments:

At 10:29 AM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Ah there he is sweet Leo....Matron would it be possible for you to post or send me an email with your recipe for tomato sauce. I too have lots of tomatoes at the moment Don't worry if your too busy though.

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous photos - you must be really proud of your harvest this year :)

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

You're making me hungry with this talk of pumpkin pie :-) I can almost smell those spices! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

I tried that variety at the tomato fest and it was very good..in my top five! Your trug looks lovely, as does the handsome blonde.

How great to see the spices for pumpkin pie on a platter. Many folks aren't familiar with mace which I have always found quite beautiful.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Tira said...

What a crop of tomatoes! beans very photogenic, too. And a lovely way to remember Buddy.

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Those tomatoes look beautiful Matron. Just gorgeous :)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Martin and Amy said...

WOW!

That's tomatoes look super!

Must try these!

Martin :0)

 
At 2:06 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Leo looks happy with his tomato harvest...YUM!

Wyatt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>