Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Tumbling Toms


 Every year I try to come up with an acceptable display in the front garden.  This raised flower bed is South facing and gets sun all day (assuming we ever get any). This year I decided to give the neighbours a taste of Matron's allotment by planting a row of Tumbler tomatoes
 I am just so pleased they are growing well and producing lots and lots of flowers.  Hopefully followed by lots and lots of small tomatoes.  This planting is right next to the pavement in our road, so  a bit of thought has been given to what will happen when passers-by are tempted by these lovely sweet little red jewels....
Well,  I don't mind a bit if a passing commuter or schoolby or dog... takes a fancy and picks one for a taste... that is fine.  What I will object to is anyone turning up with a trug, bucket or box and helping themselves to the lot!... Leo has strict instructions to bark loudly, chase the suspect... and lick them to death!

3 Comments:

At 7:07 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

Maybe you should install a CCTV system and record what happens..?

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Haha yes that's a bit risky. I got a couple pumpkins stolen from my roadside edibles and I figure some workers pick some passion fruits as they figure I have lots, as some weekends when I check the vines there are only a few ripe ones, but other than that have been lucky with my roadside edibles.

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Tigger's Mum said...

Lucky lady - so many flowers on them and nice neighbours too. Round our way some yahoo would pick them to throw at his mates, or beat them to bits with a stick - just to see the bits flying around.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>