Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Comfrey Tea

 I found a lovely big patch of Comfrey when I was out and about last weekend.  Comfrey tea is a wonderful plant feed if you don't mind a bit of a pong around the garden. 
 Pick a bag full of Comfrey leaves and submerge them in a bucket of water and hold them down with a brick or a stone.  The leaves will break down in a couple of weeks into a foul-smelling but nutritious plant food.  Provides nutrients for growing fruit, veggies and flowers at this time of year. The concentrated liquid feed has to be diluted before use. I use 1 cup full in a watering can of water.
Oh... and I have to find a safe place for this bucket of rotting comfrey... Leo drinks out of anything during this hot weather!

3 Comments:

At 10:43 AM, Blogger Heidi-Hoe said...

I use it all the time, however - I don't have a puppy who's that thirsty! :)

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

I was just talking to a friend about this just the other day. Almost word for word.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Same stink, but I use nettles
http://atmyallotment.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/strings-stink-and-stings.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>