Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 15, 2014

The Dreaded Blight

 Just a few days ago I was eagerly awaiting the ripening of these lovely Golden Jubilee Tomatoes and they looked great.
 I turn my back for just a few days and the signs of tomato blight are obvious.
 The growing season has been so warm recently, that the combination of warmth and moisture for a short period of time can be ideal conditions for blight.  Further details about blight can be found on this useful Blightwatch website.
 The only thing to do is to quickly harvest all the tomatoes whether ripe or not, and carefully pull up and destroy all infected plants.  Home compost is not suitable, this will just spread the disease.  Council green waste is OK because they have hot heaps which will destroy pathogens. 
So now I have a big tray of green tomatoes.  Some will ripen, but most will become blighted soon.  Time to make some green tomato chutney methinks!

4 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Such as shame abut the blight. Hope it doesn't spread.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Horrible that late blight. I had it a few years back and lost so many tomatoes and all debris had to go to the landfill at the time. Since then, I have grown early ripening tomatoes and I think I will continue this practice. My heart sank throwing all those tomatoes away. I know you must feel very sad, but hopefully the chutney will revive you.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger africanaussie said...

Oh how frustrating. Glad you can make use of it in chutney though.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger Vicki Green said...

Hi from Wisconsin, we had blight 2 years ago and lost all of our tomatoes. Since then we wash down our tomato cages with bleach water, crushed eggs shell around each plant and calcium fertilizer(organic). This summer we have had huge, disease free tomatoes and it was the first year we used all old heritage plants. I didn't tell my husband that some would be yellow and purple..he thought there was something wrong with them. Have a great day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>