Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Going to Seed

 Regular readers will know that I always try to leave some of my veggies to go to seed, the bees seem to prefer some veggie flowers like parsnip, broccoli and leek.  But when I left some of my Swiss Chard plants to overwinter and go to seed I had a surprise.  This one is probably a little over 10 feet tall! A Monster Swiss Chard!
 The main trunk (well it is a trunk now!) has a diameter of 5 or 6 inches and it put up huge branches of tiny tiny little green flowers - actually the bees weren't really interested to tell the truth.
 These tiny little green flowers gradually turned into little brown seeds..
 tens of thousands of Swiss Chard seeds!
I'm going to have a lot of volunteers to weed out over the coming months!

4 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

It's a wonder than Swiss Chard is not grown as a grain! It looks a lot more productive than quinoa...

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

It's a wonder than Swiss Chard is not grown as a grain! It looks a lot more productive than quinoa...

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh my goodness. Get rid of it before it smothers you. It may even be a Triffid- eekkk

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

pack them all in little envelopes and give them as Christmas pressies!
I looked everywhere for black tomato seeds this year but could not find any, some stores even told me they had never heard of them! Now I see where I heard of them, will watch with interest for you to disclose the result of the taste test.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>