Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Matron's Tomato Heaven

 Tomatoes are finally ripening down on the allotment. These Roman beefsteak tomatoes 'Pantano' look wonderful. I think I will pick and taste tomorrow.
 My clear favourite tomato of all time is Sungold. The taste is head and shoulders above anything else. Well worth the extra expense to buy F1 seeds each year.
 A really good do-er for a late beefsteak tomato is Golden Jubilee. These ripen to a glorious yellow and taste wonderful. They look spectacular when sliced on a plate with red beefsteak tomatoes.
 Meanwhile... I am still waiting for these Indigo Rose tomatoes to ripen.  I contacted Suttons Seeds recently when they were taking their time to ripen.  Their reply was to make sure the tomatoes had full sun... Well, I stripped the lower leaves of the plant, they get South facing, full sun all day..
weeks of full sun and they still won't ripen! Apart from growing the vines upside down.. I guess I'll have to wait. I think the skins might get a bit hard by then. Disappointing so far.

4 Comments:

At 4:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the chain of perfectly displayed Sungold tomatoes.

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

I have tried Sungold a couple of time because everyone raves about them, but I found the skin unpleasantly tough, and the fruits seemed to be quite prone to splitting. I prefer Sungella - a bigger-fruited yellow type. I'm currently very "into" Beefsteak toms.

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have grown indigo rose this year too and they do eventually ripen - they just take a long time! They are lovely when they do, and you can tell when they finally go because their bottoms blush red!
rachael

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Yaya Snaps said...

Beautiful tomatoes...I'd never seen the dark ones before...interesting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>