Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, August 22, 2014

Beanz

 These new Indigo Rose black tomatoes look quite stunning!
 I was imagining that they would really be a dark purple, but I must admit this is a really good black colour.
 The trouble is.. they are taking ages to ripen.  I contacted the seed company Suttons about this two-tone effect and they informed me that it must have direct sunlight - so remove the lower leaves on the plant.
 ... which I did weeks ago. These are in full sun, South facing with lower leaves taken off.. apart from growing them upside down, I don't know what to do to ripen the bottom half... just wait I suppose.
 Meanwhile these yellow beans from Seeds of Italy are simply stunning!
 These are Meraviglia di Venezia, a flat, yellow climbing bean that is a really good cropper, it has lovely attractive bright green leaves and they are lovely to look at.
 The best thing of all is that there is absolutely no stringiness, fur, or anything fibrous about these at all. They taste wonderful too. Definitely a keeper!
 I'm afraid I have found the opposite of these Aeron Vale purple star runner beans.  They ripen to this wonderful purple colour from green.
Even as a young green bean I find these were tough and stringy. I picked a few while they were still quite small and green but there weren't that many.... Still... it's great to experiment with wonderful new varieties!

7 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Blogger Mark Willis said...

A dish that included black tomatoes alongside yellow beans would be very dramatic!

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

Those tomatoes are amazing. I don't think we have anything like that here.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Captain Shagrat said...

Have you tasted the black tommies yet.

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Captain - I did try one early ripener in the greenhouse. Disappointing - like a mouthful of cotton wool. Hope the outdoor ones are an improvement.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

I tried everywhere for a black tom this year but no luck over here.I was looking for one called Black Russian if there is such a thing?The taste test though is the clincher no point in looking dramatic if they don't taste good, keep us posted

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Peggy - yes Black Russian is also known as Black Krim or Noir du Crimee (from the Crimea) I've grown them and they are more like a browny purple. Let me know if I can get you some xx

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Damo said...

Love the black tomatoes, growing Black Russian this year looking forward to them ripening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>