Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, August 04, 2014

A Volunteer Please!

 A Volunteer in the gardening sense is a plant which grows of its own accord.  Stray seeds overwinter in the soil (or a crack in the patio!) and without any help from us it wants to grow. This tomato is from a dropped tomato last year which fell between the cracks, quite literally!
 Parsley is well known as one of the seeds which is most difficult to germinate - which makes is presence between the cracks in the shady corner of my patio more fascinating.
 But this week I noticed some kind of squash or pumpkin growing on the patio! It won't come to anything but it just seems to have found a little moisture in the moss and dog hair!
 or how about this potato growing out of the kitchen compost bin?
There's even a tomato growing in my tomato patch!  Just amazing when you consider these seeds have been overwintered in the soil during Winter and just find their own way in life.

5 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the fact you have dog hair in your cracks as well. We have a longish haired German Shepherd who moults twice a year for six months at a time x

 
At 2:45 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

I love volunteers.

 
At 4:09 AM, Blogger Tira said...

Some of my best harvests are from volunteer plants, mostly from the compost.

 
At 7:56 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Its funny to see what pops up. You've quite a few little volunteers.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger l.wilks11 said...

Wow what a great plot! i am also a keen veg grower and have just started blogging maybe you would take a peep sometime.....xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>