Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Bulgarian Giant Leeks Part 2

I grew some Bulgarian Giant Leeks from seed this year, having seen them in a catalogue and thought they looked like a fun thing to grow.The length was superb! up to 3 or 4 feet of blanch and a further 2 feet of green leaves. Unfortunately as I blogged previously the taste was not up to much at all. I have since discovered that they are really not that frost hardy either. Most of the crop have bent over at the first sign of frost and they appear to be softening as well. I don't think I will grow them again, but they were a fun thing to try. My chosen variety of leek next year will be 'Oarsman' this variety was recommended to me by a man from the National Vegetable Society stall at the RHS Autumn show. I will give them a go.

4 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

I thought about trying leeks. They may have to be next year. I don't eat leeks that much so I'm waiting until I develop a taste for them. They do look like fun to grow though. Thanks for the information.

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Kath said...

I tend to stick to the old fashioned Musselbrough for my leeks. There are loads of varieties around now but I do like the older ones for flavour and hardiness. Still, you have to try things eh?

 
At 2:19 PM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Well they looked impressive! Too bad the flavor and winter hardiness were no shows though.

I skipped leeks last year and am actually skipping them again this year. Not sure why really - as I really enjoy them! Just don't have room for absolutely everything and these seemed to stay off the table for the time being so other items could be grown out.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh that is sad :( Leeks are an important base to my diet as I'm allergic to onion. We grow Musselbrough too and find them very tasty and not bothered my frost etc. But if a RHS man has recommended one I'd go for it, he's bound to know a thing or two!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>