Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

London Snow

London comes to a shuddring halt again today with only a few inches of snow! The veggie garden just looks like it is wrapped up in a cool white blanket. These broccoli plants look as healthy as ever in their lovely glaucous blue leaves.
My Isle of Wight garlic is bearing up too, it managed to put on a good root system and a spurt of growth before the Winter snow.
As a gardener I see the snow and the cold Winter temperatures as a necessary part of the dormancy period for so many fruit and veggies. As a commuter in London it is an inconvenience. I hope we have some sunshine on the snow tomorrow and I will take Buddy for a short walk. He is making progress every day now.

9 Comments:

At 12:19 AM, Blogger miss m said...

Wow, plenty of snow in your parts this year ! Glad the crops are holding up and Buddy's feeling better. :)

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous kitsapFG said...

Glad to hear Buddy is doing better! Snow just seems to dress up a landscape. Like you, I always hope for at least a couple of weeks of real "winter" conditions so that my blueberries etc get a sufficient period of chill to set proper fruit for the coming year.

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

So happy to hear Buddy is getting on better. This snow and enforced inactivity may have done him some good, resting up. The snow is lovely but I think we are all a bit over it now, eh?

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger Scarecrow said...

Argh! Matron

I'll swap you some snow for some of our 40C (104F) temps we are heading towards for the next few days here!!!

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

Snow in London, goodness what is the world coming to {giggle}.

Daily updates required on Buddy please - virtual Aunties need to know how the dear boy is doing.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Kath said...

At least a good layer of snow is an insulator! Glad to hear your good news about Buddy.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Matron

Great to hear that Buddy is doing well. Happy New year to you both.

I share your feelings about the snow. My over-wintering garlic and shallots are benefiting greatly from the snow blanket, and of course it is great for the soil. But for me personally it's frustrating - the main roads are OK but the pavements are solid ice sheets, like walking on a skating rink. Treacherous danger!

Sun's out now though - and very beautiful.

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Kalena Michele said...

Did you protect your garlic at all from the snow? I put an extra layer of leaf mulch over mine and made a barricade of leaf bags around the bed. I'm wondering if that's overkill for snow. lol

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Soilman said...

The snow and cold are excellent for the garden. Will kill off the whitefly totally and a few other things, too. Roll on 2010!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>