Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Monday, September 19, 2011

Hillbilly Tomatoes

Earlier in the season I just couldn't resist buying one more packet of tomatoes. These Hillbilly tomatoes caught my eye and I made a late planting in the greenhouse on 24th April this year. Simply stunning to look at, these multi coloured tomatoes are wonderful to look at.
Not only are they wonderful to look at, they taste fantastic too. I grew these both outside and inside and they have done well despite our awful Summer.
Meanwhile, I have been picking and drying my Salford Black runner beans. The pristine shine on these beans as the pod opens is just wonderful
They have a very dark purple colour when fresh and they dry to a stunning jet black when dry.
All of my Queensland Blue pumpkins have been picked now. They would have preferred a hot, dry Summer but all things considered this is a fair harvest. These are being 'cured' in a warm, dry place to ripen and harden the skin for keeping. These are my favourite pumpkin.

9 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Your tomatoes and beans look so nice... always envy your pumpkins...

 
At 12:23 AM, Blogger LindaG said...

Everything looks great, Matron. :)

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Alison said...

Those tomatoes look tasty and the beans fab! I've never really been interested in pumpkins but who knows, that may change now I have the garden to grow them in. Maybe I can have a competition with my Dad who grows huge pumpinks each year for a 'guess the weight' competition at his bowls club.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

Love the pumpkins, we have never seen that variety. Our new thing to grow this year...Minnesota Midget Melons (little cantaloupes, about the size of a baseball) Good for our shorter growing season and Soooo tasty!

Wyatt's Mom

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Carrie said...

Looking EXCELLENT, very impressed indeed. Would you believe, someone stole one of our squashes - devastated! xx

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Those tomatoes look very tasty, nice and meaty. I have just sown my tomatoes today, not having a greenhouse (yet) I held off until the temp warmed up a little.
Your QB pumpkins look slightly different to mine, which were grey not green. Maybe mine were not 100% QB as I saved seed from a bought pumpkin..

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

You always seem to have quite impressive and abundant harvests, well done! Kelli

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger RheLynn said...

Beautiful! I love the beans and the pumpkins!

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger Caro said...

As usual, I left it too late to plant out my pumpkin seedlings so I have lots of leaves to keep the garden looking green but, sadly, no pumpkins. Am very impressed by yours, they look lovely!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>