Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sticky Stuff!

I've tried many different ways of preventing maggots in apples and plums over the years. I don't like spraying so I thought I'd try a good old fashioned grease band.
Stickier and messier than black treacle, this band of grease goes all the way around the trunk of the fruit tree at this time of year because the little fruit moths climb up the trunk from October onwards and through the Winter, making a home for themselves and their eggs in your fruit buds. Next Spring they hatch and make their way into the flowers and the developing fruit.
So the idea is that they are prevented from crawling up the tree in the first place (they cannot fly!). I have yet to decide what to do when a certain yellow Labrador comes into the house covered in black grease? Any ideas?

8 Comments:

At 12:54 AM, Blogger LindaG said...

Could you put the grease up higher on the trunk?
Or perhaps put a small fence around the tree to keep the dog away?
I've seen that on some trees here, but am not familiar with it.
I might try Dawn dish soap on it here. The stuff they use to get oil off from oil spills.

I will just hope a certain yellow lab stays far away!

 
At 4:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that seems I good idea for next seasons apples...is there anyway you could make a circle of wire fencing out from your tree and anchor it to the ground or use tall stakes out from the tree with something like burlap wrapped around to prevent your Labrador from being able to get close to the tree.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

I need to get on with doing this too. Another tip is to grease any post to which young trees are tied as the moth can climb up these too

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

That does look very messy indeed! I use the glue bands - which is a bit like double-sided sticky tape. I'm sure some of the little divils crawl underneath the band as I still get some maggot damage.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Hope it works out well...

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Dan said...

Grease and dog, bad mix! Good luck with your fruit. I hear they can be a real challenge without spraying.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, if it perhaps smells a bad as it looks I don't think Leo will bother!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I need to follow your greasing tip on my apple tree!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>