Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Turmeric and Turnips!

I am just so pleased at how this Turmeric has grown for me. Dim Sum Gardener kindly sent me a few pieces of fresh turmeric root this Spring after a seed swap. I kept it warm and damp in the greenhouse all Summer and it has exceeded my expectations. I will try to keep it warm and cool on a windowsill during Winter and see what happens. A close relative of ginger, the underground tubers are a vibrant yellow colour, used in Asian cooking and in Ayurvedic medicine.
I am giving this a go in the hope that I might have a few Golden Ball Turnips ready for my Christmas veggie blog. I am asking bloggers to send me a photo of something that will be ready to eat at Christmas. Get thinking or planting now and I will be asking for photos in mid December.
I'm giving these Kohl Rabi a try too. I've never grown them before but just a few little golf balls will be lovely.
Just like these Kohl Rabi I saw at RHS Wisley last week. Let's see what happens.
Finally, I lifted a few of these Bedfordshire Champion onions. I sowed the seed on Boxing Day last year, Just leaving them outside to dry in this lovely warm weather. It is set to swelter this week in England. About time!

11 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Ahem..it's been sweltering here in Nova Scotia this past week, so perhaps we are sending it along to you as we do seem to get blamed when cold weather gets sent across the pond (big grin).

Mal, the onions look great. You have me thinking...will seed some of the turnips tomorrow and cover in the cold frame in the coming month. Who knows))).

How wonderful you were sent fresh turmeric root...it's so exciting to try something new. I wonder if fresh, it can be used in different ways than we use it dry...ummmm. Likely so.

 
At 2:33 AM, Blogger Richie said...

All looking good for fall planting

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Lexa said...

Matron - I have been reading about your heat wave.It seems that it is time to harvest onions on both sides of the Atlantic. I think they are one of the most satisying and easy crops to grow. So, something to harvest a Christmas......hmmm.........

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Kath said...

Kohl rabi are gorgeous. they have a wonderful flavour. I'm very impressed by your turmeric too.

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Isn't RHS Wisley an inspiration?!

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Your tumeric plant does look impressive, very healthy looking. The golden ball turnip looks really interesting. I hadn't thought much about planting now... suppose i'd better!

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Good luck with the seeds... the tumeric looks very healthy...

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Aren't you very late in planting Kohlrabi?

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Matron said...

Poolcue Poker - yes indeed, I was wondering if I could manage a very late, very small crop for my Christmas blog. The Kohlrabi is up already and a centimetre tall. Fingers crossed but it is a long shot.

 
At 4:04 AM, Blogger tina said...

That turmeric looks sort of like ginger. Very pretty. I hope you get tons of the root.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Good luck with the turmeric, one of my favourite spices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>