Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Sunday, October 02, 2011

Record Temperatures!

In the last couple of days in Britain we have seen some unseasonably hot temperatures. My Bishops Kiss chillis are enjoying the heat and bright light and the colour is changing fast.
I took this photo late in the afternoon when it had cooled down a little but most places in England saw 80 degrees easily! As long as I keep up with the watering on the allotment this hot sunny weather is really good for a growth spurt.
One of the strange things happening this Autumn is that I have a second crop of strawberries! This has never happened before with this variety. My worry is that at this time of year the leaves should build up a good crown to feed next year's crop. I fear that if they crop this time of year they will not have enough strength to form a crop next year. I must give them a good feed to try to help.
Meanwhile in the greenhouse, some of my black cherry tomatoes were so tall that I tied the top of the plant to the roof of the greenhouse. Though the fruit at the bottom of the plant is long gone, the fruit at the top is going well, and this lovely bright weather is ripening the fruit.
This very late sowing of KohlRabi has germinated. I am just experimenting to see if I can get a quick crop for my Christmas Veggie Blog. I have taken a chance and ignored the instructions on the packet which say you can sow seed up till August. Let's see. Hopefully this hot, sunny spell will get them on their way.
I am still cropping these lovely F1 hybrid cucumbers called Delizia. These short, pale cucumbers are wonderful. They stopped cropping in about July, but have just started again.
My Garlic Chives are putting on a lovely show at the moment. Local honey bees are all over them.

9 Comments:

At 7:49 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great temperatures - a bonus for everyone. Enjoy the sun.

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

Strawberries in October - how fabulous! I've got a couple of new flowers on mine but only time - and the weather - will tell if they produce fruits.

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

Our strawberries have just gone on and on this year - like you I haven't been able to cut back the leaves.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger littlekarstar said...

Wow that is unusual to have such a long sunny season!

Your crops look fantastic, loving the cherry tomatoes. I have such greenhouse envy!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

We have very unseasonal wet weather, its been torrential for the last 2 weeks with days of heavy wet mist in between!I have not been able to even visit the allotment. We had a second flush of strawberries too and also did on some plants last year a good feed will set them up for next year.
The Turmeric is astonishing you definitely have green fingers!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Same sort of temperatures in Lincolnshire also. My strawberries have some flowers but I guess they may not reach fruiting size but I am giving them a good feed just in case.

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Tira said...

Those are some picture perfect chilies and luscious looking black cherries

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Kelli said...

Poor Ireland got a bit of warmth but only with lots of rain. Glad you had some sun, always a bonus in this part of the world. Your chilis are gorgeous.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Oh rub it in why don't you!! It's cold and grey and rather damp here and bloody miserable on the plots!
Glad you're having such a good time though and everythign looks fab - I am so full of jealousy it's giving me energy hahahaha.
Hugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>