Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, September 23, 2011

Thou Shalt Not Scrump!

Matron visited the RHS Garden at Wisley, Surrey today. One of my favourite places to be at this time of year and a place I love dearly is the fruit field. Thousands of well known and many forgotten apple varieties. Matron may or may not have partaken of some serious field research on behalf of my bloggers...
This reminded me of the tomb of the unknown warrior... for apples! But have a look at some of these gems nestling forgotten in a corner of the orchard.









Such a shame that supermarkets just stock tasteless, flawless rubbish when there is so much to choose from.

8 Comments:

At 8:20 PM, Blogger Rob said...

I would like to know who does the tasting for supermarkets - nothing they sell seems to have any taste! When I pick an apple from a tree in the garden it has so much taste it's almost too tasty if you know what I mean and its the same with everything.

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Matron
Wonderful apple trees, I've not seen those varieties available here, but we do have some heritage ones as know probably know.
Rob, sadly the truth is that supermarkets don't care about taste they only want apples with shelf-life. Here in NZ we are usually only offered a few such as Braeburn or Granny Smiths, unless you go to an orchard shop. No wonder people are not aware of the tasty varieties!

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

I should say 'tastier' varieties..my hubby actually quite likes Braeburn.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Ah ha! You are a scrumper too!! Caught apple handed :) I get hugely annoyed at the fact that we only get 4 or 5 varities in our supemarkets and not many more in farmers markets either. There are so many really tasty ones out there, worth sinning for ;) x

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Wild Mood Swings said...

I know not of this scrumping , hey Matron

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Wendy said...

Delurking to say I so agree with you! Recently, even our local apple shop (yes, we have one here in worcestershire) has gone blander. The supermarkets are rubbish.
I like russets, though, when I can get them - the season is so short.

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger The Allotment Blogger said...

It's amazing that apples smell of almost nothing these days - my neighbour has a tree whose apples have the most astonishing fragrance, rich, complex, totally intoxicating. Every year she passes a few over the wall to me and I make tarte tatin from them. I have no idea what the variety is, but I've never seen anything like it in a supermarket.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

Downton Pippin?? From the Abbey I presume?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>