Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Precious Pickings

These last few tomatoes are so precious. I have been savouring them one at a time as they hang on in the greenhouse. In a few short days they will be gone and I will only have horrid supermarket tomatoes for the next 6 months. These Ildi tomatoes grew well in a small hanging basket.
Just a few Gardener's Delight in the greenhouse too. These are just a bit small but the taste is amazing. Tomatoes on the lower trusses have all gone now. Leo goes in the greenhouse and helps himself if I leave the door open!
And a few Black Cherry tomatoes hanging from the roof of the greenhouse. Leo can't reach these!
And a late sowing of Hurst Greenshaft peas in August has been well worth it. A few sweet, tasty pods to eat in the garden today. I have noticed that in this late crop there is not a single pea moth anywhere. I suppose the adults laid their eggs in the early Spring and Summer crops and had all gone when these were flowering. Note to self!

7 Comments:

At 6:46 PM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

What a fantastic November harvest!! My late-sown Kelevedon Wonder peas succumbed to powdery mildew only a few weeks ago so I'm fairly envious of your pods.

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger suburban veg gardener said...

What a fantastic November harvest!! My late-sown Kelevedon Wonder peas succumbed to powdery mildew only a few weeks ago so I'm fairly envious of your pods.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Caro said...

Very interesting to note the lack of pea moth. I found the same with my late sown Sugar Snap peas - a bit of mildew perhaps (the wigwam blew down in a storm and tangled all the plants) but managed several perfectly delicious pods. I may join you in late sowing again next year!

 
At 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah the heavenly home grown tomatoes...have to make them last as long as you can! My Dad used to say store bought tomatoes tasted like cardboard...he was right (sometimes I think maybe cardboard might taste better). So Leo loves tomatoes too, lots of vitamins and minerals for him!

the peas are perfect!

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger George said...

The black cherry looks very similar to the chocolate cherry tomato in my garden. It is amazing how good they taste late, late into the year. They ripen nicely even from green. Have been collecting the last ones to let them color. Next year's tomato season is so far away!

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger ignorant gardener said...

Hi, your blog is incredible and your tomatoes look wonderful! I'm just a beginning gardening and my tomatoes this year didn't do too well. You mentioned your greenhouse. What kind of a greenhouse do you have, and have you eevr blogged any pics or other posts about what you grow in it? I'm thinking about getting a greenhouse for veggies because my 2 lab puppies dug up almost everything I planted in my vegetable garden last year :-( If you don't mind checking out my new blog gardeninginwesternwashington.blogspot.com and giving me any suggestions that would be great. Thanks!

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Matron said...

George, I think they are very similar, in fact I can't tell the difference!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>