Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Queensland Blue Pumpkin

My favourite pumpkin by far is the Queensland Blue pumpkin. Dense, sweet flesh that doesn't go watery when you roast it.
Wonderful for just roasting, steaming or making into pumpkin pie.
If you can get your hands on some seeds they are well worth it. They do just about OK in a hot Summer over here but they really prefer lots and lots of heat and daylight.
Dilemmas. What to do with my lovely crab apples. Do I leave them for the birds to enjoy over Winter and to give the garden some colour on a grey day? Or do I make jelly? Do they stay or do they go? You decide.

14 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

He he, strange sitting here in Queensland reading about Queensland blues on the other side of the world. Glad you like them.
Cheers.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger My Veggie Garden said...

Also0 if I had that many crab apples I'd be making something out of them. I've never tried crab apple sauce so I'd start there I recon.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Greenorchid said...

Why not do both, crab apple jelly is yummy but you could just take what you need to make a few pots and leave the rest to share.
The tree looks beautiful!

 
At 1:16 PM, Blogger Rob said...

The pumpkin looks good. Have the apples, this winter will warm so the birds won't need them.

 
At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother Nature is the purest artist I know...that pumpkin is proof...gorgeous, can't wait to see what you make with it! Regarding Crab Apples...perhaps some could stay (for birds) and some could go (for jelly), that way feathered friends are happy, your eyes are happy and your taste buds are happy!

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger gintoino said...

Beautiful pumpkin you have there! I just got a few seeds of some new varieties that will be trying next summer (I am becoming a pumpkin addict ;) )
As for the crab apples....I would make jelly from most of them (assuming crab apple jelly is good...we don't have them around here) and leave some for the birds ;)

 
At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about half for you and half for the birds. The birds get to eat some over winter and you get to have some delicious jelly.

Lee

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Doc said...

Better to be jelly.....or is that jolly? Jelly or Jolly are better than the alternative.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger BilboWaggins said...

The birds will need those crabs far more than you need a couple of jars of jelly, especially if we get another winter like the last two.

 
At 3:17 AM, Blogger littlekarstar said...

Those crab apples remind me of damson plums! the birds would lvoe them. Jelly?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger melsanford said...

Fab pumpkin! I'd do a bit of both with your crab apples - they look beautiful! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

 
At 4:58 PM, Anonymous Mark said...

Crown Prince (Edwin Tucker sell 'em) are v similar and do better in our climate!

 
At 5:53 PM, Anonymous Lou Murray's Green World said...

I cooked a Queensland Blue once and have been wanting to grow them ever since. I needed a machete to cut into it though. Very tough skin.

 
At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Bobby said...

We're big crab apple jelly fans, but never seen a pumpkin like that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>