Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, August 09, 2012

Coming along!

 I am amazed at the speed of growth on this Paton Twins Giant Pumpkin. Just in a few days it has doubled in size. It does look as if my pollination attempts have been successful. The flower is fading and the fruit is swelling.  In order to try to get the biggest pumpkin, I am going to cut off all but just one or two fruits on the whole plant.
 Elsewhere, the blackberries are starting to ripen. I see a Summer Pudding in my life in the very near future.
 Growing in among the pumpkin vines are these Lapwing Sweetcorn.  I have not grown this variety before, but it is another of the supersweet varieties.  What is different about Lapwing is that each stalk appears to have 2 or even 3 cobs!  I will be very pleased if they all ripen. Mostly I just get one cob per stalk, but these look good.
 The Black Forest Climbing Courgette is just starting to grow properly. Not the best season at all, the weather has been really bad this season, but a few small courgettes coming along.
The Sungella tomatoes are by far the most prolific variety this season, they are a stunning gold colour, but the taste is disappointing.  When comparing them to a Sungold or a Chocolate Cherry variety they taste weak and insipid.

12 Comments:

At 11:23 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

I'm so happy for you!!! Glad the experiment was successful with the pumpkins. That is an interesting pumpkin species. I hope the taste and texture will be good.
Everything else is coming along nicely.....Ms. Green Fingers!!!

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Gardeningbren said...

Sungella...well it could be the rain. I found last year, when we had so much rain, some of the tomatoes were like that..insipid and so so. Every year is different for each plant and next year it could do better. Sungold and Chocolate Cherry are pretty good though, and were even with all the rain last year.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, hopefully that pumpkin will be a record breaker. You have attempted Artificial insemination for veggies?!

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonder if the weather had anything to do with tomato taste? can't wait to see your HUGE pumpkin! The corn and berries are coming on! Interesting about the Courgettes though...usually so prolific! considering the weather you've had this growning season things are looking remarkably well!

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

It's amazing. We will follow your pumpkins with great interest.

We had a couple of hot days and our pumpkins went from baseballs to basketballs in 48 hours!

Loving the Sun,
Wyatt

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Caro said...

It's amazing what a week of warm weather will do! I'd almost given up hope and suddenly everything in the veg garden has put on a growth spurt! Here's to a prolonged summer and late harvests!

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger kitsapFG said...

I always have to do some hand pollination of squash as the bees are not active when it is cooler and my region's climate is typically cool and mild compared to other parts of the world. Comes from living to a huge body of cool water (pacific ocean) which brings a marine flow of air in that moderates temps constantly.

 
At 6:14 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Yeah! Remote pumpkin growth watching. It's off to a good start.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Damo said...

Good luck with the pumpkins and if my sweetcorn are like that next time I visit the allotment I'll be very pleased!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

I like the idea of a climbing courgette, will have to see about getting one in the future!

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Looking good indeed... try eating the baby pumpkins after you removed them... they taste good, resembling those of zucchini...

 
At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pumkins are just about hte only thing which do well in my garden, well thats what i thought until i saw the size of yours! Congrats (:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>