Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tomato Maintenance

 It has not been the easiest of growing seasons on Matron's allotment. I am pretty sure that this yellow blotching on my tomato leaves inside the greenhouse is a Magnesium Deficiency. So a google search shows me what to do.
 Go to your chemist and look like you are suffering from constipation, and ask for Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate). I then made a weak solution up in a watering can and drenched the tomato leaves in this solution.  Fingers crossed that they will get relief!! Awaits results.
 Another tricky tomato problem I'm having this year is Tomato Leaf Curl. So a google search informed me that the most likely cause is 'wet and cool conditions'.. surely not!!!!
 Elsewhere on the patio, I have a few more very tiny Sungold tomatoes! My favourite!
None ripe yet in the greenhouse, I just feel that they are all just waiting for sunshine! Fingers crossed we are going to have a brighter weekend, it might just start the ripening process!

11 Comments:

At 10:43 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Hi matron, similarly bad growing season over here.Your tomatoes look great just a little sunshine to ripen them, ours are tiny on the plants and time is running out for them.We have had nothing fit to eat from them yet!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Cabbage Tree Farm said...

Hi Matron
Interesting about the Epsom salts..I didn't know they were for constipation - we put them in the bath for relieving aches and pains! I've been putting a handful on my gardenias which, as they are in pots, tend to get yellow leaves. It does seem to work for them, so will be good to see if it works for your tomatoes! As we are in our Winter I am using our frozen supply, which isn't very much this year - bad tomato season last summer, hopefully better next time!

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger dreaming in maine said...

I love my sungold tomatoes as well!

By the way, you shouldn't need to pretend you have any ailments at all. It shouldn't be the business of the chemist why you are purchasing anything in the store. Most chemists have epsom salts right in the mail aisles as well :)

Good luck with the leaf issues. I've had some blight issues. I've had to basically cut back several plants quite a big to get rid of the infected leaves. I also have used some garlic oil since I heard it is a good antifungal. I just mix it with a bit of water and spritz onto the leaves - seems to work alright, but I suspect I'll be trying to stay 1 step ahead right through the harvest!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Midmarsh John said...

Your toms are doing far better than mine. All I have so far is some flowers. Lower parts of the plants look very unhealthy though more recent growth looks good.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Sue Garrett said...

At least you have tomatoes - even if they are green.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

I give my plants (especially my palms) a watering of epsom salts every six weeks or so, it helps tremendously to keep them green.
I have just discovered Ultra Fine Oil which seems to be better than the insecticidal safer soap for spraying my plants with insect problems.

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just point out to Me From Maine that it is the pharmacists business, some stores do have small pots for sale in the aisles and can of course be used in the bath or for constipation. The problem is that pharmacies are different and are required by law to check the usage on any products they sell. In this case the reason why? Epsom salts are used to cut drugs with.

 
At 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Matron...your tomatoes are coming along even with the problems!

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Petunia's Gardener said...

Good tips! One of mine started getting yellow on the leaves after I removed the cloche. Others didn't. And the newer growth is green. I've intended to do some research, but didn't make it that far....
I've been surprised at the small size on the first of the tomatoes. Now developing tomatoes seem to be more the size expected.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger seagrrlz said...

I usually had a couple of tbsps of epsom salts and bone meal to my green spot(in the community garden). I find it really helps with my tomatoes. I'm growing Sungolds this year as well and mine are doing fairly well so far.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

Epsom Salt?.... I love to know the result.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>