Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Friday, July 13, 2012

Gooseberries!

 Gooseberries are just so misunderstood in my mind. If the only experience you have ever had of gooseberries are those horrid little sour bullets that they sell in supermarkets then I suppose I wouldn't like them either. But the real McCoy is JUST SO DIFFERENT.  I thinned out the smaller fruit so that just a few of the best gooseberries will ripen and sweeten.
 You just cannot imagine how sweet and flavoursome a ripe gooseberry is until you have had one. Best eaten straight from the plant without telling anyone, or there will be none left! These light green fruit are Invicta. A really healthy variety.
 Slightly later afterwards come these Hinnomaki Red gooseberries. Just a couple more weeks to go before these are ripe. I noticed this moth hanging on for dear life under the leaves! I don't think he is doing any harm.
 So what did I do with the thinnings?
Gooseberry crumble of course! Heavenly!

3 Comments:

At 10:06 AM, Anonymous On The Allotment said...

I have to totally agree I did not like gooseberrys until I took over this allotment that already had them growing. Fantastically delicious!

 
At 12:57 PM, Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Had a real good laugh reading your comment 'Best eaten straight from the plant without telling anyone'... I should fertilize my gooseberry plant more, I think...

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

Gooseberries look fab! And the crumble too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>