Down on the Allotment

Matron grows vegetables and fruit in a Hampshire garden. I've been growing veggies since I was knee high to a grasshopper. Some traditional varieties and old favourites as well as new ideas. I share my garden with my allotment assistant Daisy the Labrador. On Twitter as @MatronsVeggies

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Two Giants

 Well, my Paton Twins Giant Pumpkin is enjoying this spell of warm, sunny weather. The leaves are enormous! It has certainly inherited some special genetics.
 The hot weather over the past few days has stimulated the production of female flowers on the plant. With any luck this may be the beginnings of a pumpkin of sorts... but the weather so far this Summer hasn't given it the best start it might have had.
 Speaking of giants.. do you remember my Bulgarian Giant leeks from a couple of years ago? Like many giant veggies it was spectacular to look at, fun to grow but tasted of nothing at all really.
Well, here's another Bulgarian Giant I spotted at the Olympic Volleyball match at Earls Court this morning!

7 Comments:

At 11:53 AM, Blogger VirginiaC said...

Matron, you are too cheeky (excuse the pun).
Your veggies continue to amaze me.

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

ahh, sunshine, I remember that stuff.... :( I am in love with your ruler, yes your ruler, I have a 'thing' for nice stationary...

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger chocolatelikesnow said...

Ooh your pumpkin is looking good! I had a handful of pumpkins growing on my 2 plants, but have already lost 2 of them as they started rotting from the flower end :-(

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Bangchik and Kakdah said...

They are giants in their own right....

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Wyatt said...

We love to watch your garden grow.
We have been nibbling on Sungolds for a week or more and had our first Early Girl tomatoes this week. We have not had much heat yet either, so they are not sweet and juicy yet...but we have hope. Warm temps are coming....:D

Wyatt

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Kelli said...

My 'mammath' pumpkin has a tiny fruit about the same size as yours and a few flowers. I'm wondering if this is a bad year for growing pumpkin - my first year trying!

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Matron said...

Why I garden - I'm sure it is a bad year for pumpkins. They just love hot, bright sunshine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

>